Sarge Install

Hi, again!

After a couple of false starts, I got Debian Sarge installed.

The installer script seemed to work perfectly. The problems I had were not caused by the script, but maybe I could suggest ways the script could help for those?

First problem. My ISP has a policy that all connections are for two hours, then you're kicked off and have to re-dial in. While downloading the extra packages (724 of them!) I repeatedly had to allow aptitude to fail in order to get to the menu to reconnect. Could there possibly be a way to catch the pppd "error" (I think the code is 16) when my ISP (and others here in the UK... it seems to be the "done thing") kicks me off and a pop-up come to ask if I want to reconnect? Then aptitude could go on its merry way without having to fail, possibly putting the interrupted download at the back of the queue.

Second problem. The downloading of the extra packages. As I mentioned, aptitude downloaded 724 packages to make my desktop. That's 506MB. At modem speeds, it took 43 hours to download. The alternative is to pick your packages in aptitude. I'm not experienced enough to do that. Could there possibly be a granularity between all and individual package selection? And a way to restart the script which doesn't wipe out all the packages that were downloaded previously? That way, I could have rebooted into Windows and checked my e-mail... and also not tied my machine up to a single task for that amount of time. I originally started the install on Monday of last week. I don't have 24/7 access, only evenings and weekends so I would have been running this script for 4 days.... I ended up waiting until the weekend to do it.

As I said, the script seemed to do what it was designed to do. It's external factors that caused the problems I faced...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.