Re: please help to repair apt/aptitude

Joydeep Bakshi wrote:
Hi debian users,

this is my very first mail at this list. I was a RH user but after knowing about debian I have changed my linux box to debian permanently. I really enjoy this disto. of linux as it comes with huge packages and some strong technical design. recently I have faced a very serious problem in debian. I have executed *aptitude install lg-all* and after that when ever I try to run aptitude to install or remove it says

Reading Package Lists... Done
Segmentation faulty Tree... 71%

I have also executed *apt-get check* but it also provided exactly the same as above. now I am in a situation where I can't install or remove any packages from my system . could any one pleaseee help me to repair the aptitude ? ( I have ran memtest and out put didn't show any error )

thanks in advanced.

In case it's aptitude-specific problem, first try "dpkg -P lg-all" If it reports that the package is in a "bad inconsistent state" and recommends reinstalling before removing, then do "dpkg -i [path] where [path] is the full path name to the lg-all .deb package file, to install it, followed by "dpkg -P lg-all" to remove it.

I don't know much about aptitude but if you keep having this problem you can try dselect instead, which is an older and (prsumably) more stable program, which has always been bullet-proof for me. It's designed to protect newbies (or even "oldies" like me) from their own ignorance or carelessness, while giving them more explicit options and information about what it's doing. All the times I've made a mess it was with one of the commandline programs, never dselect.