Re: What software is available to ...

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 09:50, Donald Green wrote:
>I want to copy a DVD. What public domain software is available out
>there??? And where do I find it???
>.

There are several, sometimes way too complex ways to do it.  To me,
and I haven't tried this myself, its seems as if one should be able
to do this (if a 2 or 4GB filesize limit doesn't rear its ugly head
that is)

#> dd if=/dev/dvd of=/path/to/filename.iso

I'm not clear on the block size you might have to set with the bs
directive to dd above, I know cd's are bigger than disk drives but
haven't paid that much attention to dvd's.

Anyway, if that works, and you can then mount & browse that file.iso
to prove its a good image, then just burn that image with k3b, it
does 99% of that stuff automaticly.  See the -o loop option of mount
in the manpages.

You might also use md5sum to make an MD5SUM of the original disk, then
run an md5sum against the extracted filename.iso, again another
integrity check on the disk vs file, and repeat on the final disk
too.

I've not done this personally, not having a dvd that was anything but
data here, and all the commercial dvd's are of course copyrighted.
But I see a court decision was rendered about making backup copies
the other day that confirms the legality of that, at least here in
the US.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)