Re: yahoo instant messenger (im)

hja123 wrote:

Thanks, Kent.
I am trying im with Kopete using IRC. The problem is that it requires me to fill in a server and a port number. I know of a few servers and ports but they are in names rather than numbers. For instance, for server irc.debian.org, what would be the corresponding port number for #debian?

hja123

Every server has thousands of "ports," which is a term for a virtual point that you can connect to the server. Waiting on the other side of a given port number is a program that you connect to. An http web browser, by default, connects to port 80. The server, then, runs a program on port 80 that recieves the connection. An FTP server uses port 21. Webmin uses port 10000 (Of course you can run these on any port you want, but the generic default is as such. You could run a web server on port 2534, but then people would have to go to "yoursite.com:2534" to change the default "80" and get there).

Anyway. Just enter your server name as usual, and if you leave the port blank it should just use the default. If not, the generically default port for IRC is port 6667, I believe.

      Cheerio!
            SigmaX