Re: timezones

michael <linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 23:18 +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
>> On (05/04/05 23:06), michael wrote:
>> > Here in the UK we recently went to British Summer Time, putting the
>> > clocks +1hr from GMT. On my dual boot (Debian + WinXP) it now seems I
>> > have a problem. WinXP reports the correct BST time, whereas Debian is an
>> > additional hour in front (ie GMT+2 instead of GMT+1) but I can't work
>> > out why. A quick Internet search didn't throw anything up.
>> >
>> > I'm running:
>> > michael@manchester-campaigns:~$ uname -a;cat /etc/apt/sources.list
>> > Linux manchester-campaigns 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002
>> > i686 GNU/Linux
>> >
>> > deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
>> >
>> > with Real Time Clock Driver v1.10e
>> >
>> > Not sure what other info to add (I thought there were msgs about
>> > hardware clock at boot but not sure how to access these - not in dmesg)
>> At the install time you're asked whether to set HW clock to GMT.  I had
>> a problem a while ago on a dual boot system (with MacOSX) because I
>> answered yes.
>>
>> If you rerun base-config your should be able to set it to 'no'
>
> Thanks to Bruno for explanations and fixes (I went for the base-config
> rather than hwclock for no part. reason). Sorry for having a dual boot
> machine ;)

Hehe, the part. reason could be because it's easiest and safest, which
is the best way to go :) Unfortunately, every distro handles this different,
and being myself a comparatively new Debian user converted from RedHat,
I too still have to figure out how some parts of the system are set up
here ...

Regards, Bruno.