Debian testing Software Raid 1 Migration

Hello

So I am currently running Debian Linux (testing) on a system. I want
to migrate over to RAID 1 (software) for data redundancy in the case
of a hard drive failure. I'm running the 2.4.30 kernel with RAID built
in (not module).

I've run the command:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level 1 --raid-device=2 missing /dev/hdc1

It creates the array and everything is fine it appears in /proc/mdstat
but upon rebooting the system will not realize the array.

I realize I could update mdadm.conf and then have it autosense them
but I want the bios to read them from the superblock on the drive but
have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Any one got any ideas? I read the article on the howtos but am totally
stumped. I need to get mdadm to install the Persistent Superblock but
it should by default... hmm

Thanks!