Using Knoppix to install Debian

When trying to install Debian 3.0 on a new server we just bought, I discovered that support for a 3ware SATA RAID Card was no compiled into the distro (i.e., I couldn't install). After looking through forums and considering how to compile the drivers into the kernel, I realized I could give Knoppix a spin.

Knoppix installed no problem. I have already removed from sources.list all knoppix related sites and set everything for Debian stable. I've removed pretty much every package that is Knoppix related, as well as all X11 related packages.

So, my first question is: how Debian is my box really?

Second question: will I wack the whole thing if I upgrade to 2.6 kernel? Or do I need to download the source kernel, compile in the driver and then install it?

Curtis