Re: gdm fails to start

Kent West wrote:
Michael Spang wrote:

I have a system on which gdm refuses to start. The X server starts each time, seemingly successfully, then quits before gdm displays.

I'd suggest trying xdm and/or kdm and/or wdm, just to see what happens.

I have been using xdm without problems. kdm also works (I just tried it). gdm seems to be the only program affected.

gdm worked fine on this computer previously. It presumably broke during an upgrade, though there were several between now and the last time the system rebooted, so I am not sure which one. Anyway, I'm just about to try some older versions to see if I can find one which works.