Re: kernel-2.6.8 Scanner Support?-Thanks Again

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 04:15:51PM -0500, Brad Askew wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:20:14 +0200, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > With these changes xsane started with no difficulty but the man page for
> > sane-usb notes that the permission change will be lost on re-booting.  I
> > have not yet puzzled out how to make it permanent.
>
> Using hotplug is the only solution to this.
>
> http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/libusb.html
>
> Hopefully that will get you most the way there.
>
> Brad

I'm getting closer!

I followed the instructions in libusb.html and found I had to make the
two changes.  First, there is no file /etc/hotplug/usb.usrmap but there
is a file /etc/hotplug/usb.distmap which contains the described scanner entries and I added a new one for my epson scanner.  Second, I had modify the script to change the permissions from 660 to 666.  Even with these changes xsane cannot find the scanner immediately after the system has been re-booted but only after the scanner has been disconnected and reconnected.

I don't mean to complain, in fact, I am very greatful for all the help
as I would never have been able to puzzle this out by myself.  Also, I
understand the reasons for switching from a kernel scanner module to the
libusb scanner support.

This said, I do wonder how a poor soul who just wanted to use a Debian
desktop would manage.  When I first tackled this problem I checked the
kernel-source-2.6.8 Documentation files and found nothing on usb
scanners, no note as to why the scanner module had been removed.  When I
was refered to the sane-usb documentation there was a note that
libusb-0.1-6 was required while apt-cache search shows only libusb-0.1-4
and libusb-dev which is reported as Version 1:0.1.5-4.  This is all
there was so this is what I used.  Finally, as noted in this and my
working again.  In contrast, when I compiled a kernel from
kernel-source-2.4.26 with the scanner module the scanner worked
immediately after system bootup.

Again, many thanks for all the help.  I love Debian and have great
admiration for all the experts who patiently respond to questions posted
on this user's list.  I hope to see Debian become the desktop of choice.

Tom George