Re: DNS Problem: BIND on new NS Won't Respond

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 07:59 am, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Jon Dowland wrote:
> > The purposes of the defaults are explained in the comments for the
> > relevant files in /etc/bind. I cannot tell you what is wrong with his
> > name resolution based on the information provided, however I know of 2-3
> > working debian bind systems which retain these defaults.
>
> yeah.. neither of us or anybody can until we see "all the dns-releated"
> files ... but those "defaults" are suspect ... ( not a good idea )
>
> other dns examples ... including testing and securing it
>  http://Linux-Sec.net/DNS
>
> c ya
> alvin

That link is one I'll definitely keep around for use later.

The funny thing is I know I got another system to work with the defaults (I
later had to wipe it out, since it was a test or learning system).  This one
started working as soon as I did 2 things: 1) I removed the extra files, as
the first person suggested, and 2) I changed the first nameserver in
resolv.conf to 127.0.0.1 instead of using the external IP of my ethernet
card.  If anyone can explain to me why the system would not read its own DNS
info from the external ethernet and would read it from lo, I'd be interested
in hearing why.

Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions!

Hal