Dell Optiplex and X not working ('no screens found')

Hello,

hopefully someone can help. I have a nice Dell box here
with an unidentified graphics card (ATI, but no idea what
else). It is the Dell Optiplex GX 280, and when saying I
want the 'ati' driver for X11 it just bombs out with the
message 'no screens found' and nothing else. The XF86Config
is identical to my old version on some box with nv drivers,
and I tried everything - from changing the 'Driver' from
'nv' to 'ati' up to redoing dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
from scratch, etc.

Thanks lots,
Alexander