Problems with curses???

Ok, I have no idea how this might have happened... however, I am having
problems with command line menus.  I think this is Curses/Ncurses...
but this is something I don't know much about... at least, not how to
fix.

The problem is, the keyboard doesn't seem to work properly... so I can't
make any selections... or hit "Ok" or anything.  For example.. If I run
"apt-setup" I can't arrow up/down to make selections...  or update
anything with apt-upgrade that needs configuration like this.

"^[[B" <= is all I get when I try and move around the menus.  I assume
it could be some sort of console config... but...  I just don't know.

When I open VI, I can move around without any similar issues.

This is the same at console, and through ssh.  I have no idea even where
to start so I apologize for not being able to do research and fix it
myself.

This seems stupid...  but I need to get it fixed.

Running Debian Sarge.

thanx,
BJ