Re: LI (in LILO) boot translation

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:58:56 -0400
Tony Uceda Velez <tvelez@secureworks.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to resolve boot problems on this host which appears to have
> a corrupt MBR.  Any diagnositics to root with a boot disk that fixes
> corrupt MBR.
>
> Error seen on this host is the following:
>
> Updating ESCD...Success
> Verifying DMI Pool Data ...........Update Success
>
> LI
>
> Forgot what the second stalled letter in the LILO boot process means.

Try /usr/share/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz:

  (<nothing>)  No part of LILO has been loaded. LILO either isn't
installed     or the partition on which its boot sector is located isn't
active.    L <error> ...   The first stage boot loader has been loaded
and started,     but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The
two-digit error     codes indicate the type of problem. (See also
section "Disk error     codes".) This condition usually indicates a
media failure or a geometry     mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters, see
section "Disk geometry").    LI   The first stage boot loader was able
to load the second stage boot     loader, but has failed to execute it.
This can either be caused by a     geometry mismatch or by moving
/boot/boot.b without running the map     installer.
   LIL   The second stage boot loader has been started, but it can't
load     the descriptor table from the map file. This is typically
caused by a     media failure or by a geometry mismatch.
   LIL?   The second stage boot loader has been loaded at an incorrect
    address. This is typically caused by a subtle geometry mismatch or
by     moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.
   LIL-   The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by
a     geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
    installer.
   LILO   All parts of LILO have been successfully loaded.

HTH,
Jacob