Re: NVidia - correct build/install sequence?

Le Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:35:26 -0700, Rick Macdonald a écrit :

> make-kpkg --append-to-version .rickm.4 kernel_image
> cd ..
> dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.9.rickm.4_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
> ==>> reboot
>
> I always do the reboot here, figuring that the kernel needs to be
> installed and running for the nvidia to build correctly. Usually, GDM
> fails to run after booting because the old driver doesn't match the new
> kernel. But what if I'm reconfiguring, such as turning on tmpfs or some
> drivers? Should I always reboot?

Method 1 : only for small module changes
hum ... don't tell it too loudly but with the 2.6 kernel you can build the
kernel in the source directory once, proceed as usual. Then  if you
want to had a module (if you never make mrproper or make clean) you can
just make xconfig, then make modules, make modules_install ...

This only work for modules.

Method 2/
Otherwise, you don't need to reboot between building the kernel and
nvidia.
The module building process don't mind what kernel is running  though you
need to tell it where are the source for the kernel you want the module to
be build for.
For module assistant the option is -k: m-a -k /usr/src/linux for example.

Rebooting only happens when you want to boot with a new kernel. I never
heard of another need for it (apart from testing new cools bootsplash
themes :)

Regards
Alban