Font appearance change after sarge upgrade

Hi.

I had been using the "P-code" hinter, or something similar for my fonts
since a couple of months ago, when during a sarge upgrade it came up as
an option. I was very happy with how it looked. Using the Bitstream Vera
fonts, it gave a really nice crisp, high-contrast look to the fonts,
that also made it easier for me to read.

Yesterday I did a dist-upgrade, and suddenly my fonts are back to how
they were before. And I can't seem to find how to fix it! I thaught
perhaps dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig would let me choose the "P-code"
hinter (I'm not exactly sure if that is what it was called, but I think
something similar), but there seems to be no such option.

Could anyone offer advice? I'm running Sarge on i386, using GNOME.
Though the change in font appearance seems to have affected KDE apps
too, so it's not a gnome-specific setting as far as I can tell.

Thanks
Neilen