Re: Thursday upgrade borked my nvidia drivers

On April 2, 2005 03:52, Tim Day wrote:

> Sounds like a problem I just saw:
>
> I usually install the nvidia drivers with module-assistant using the
> 1.0.6111 debs which used to be in testing.  Works fine on 2.4 & 2.6.
>
> Just recently I got hit by the stock nvidia-kernel debs appearing in
> sarge's repository - these seem to have been built from 1.0.7167, but
> there's no matching nvidia-glx.  Any machines which grabbed them ('cos
> they appear more up to date than the modass built ones) wouldn't start X
> due to the version mismatch (at least I think that's what was happening;
> it was certainly complaining about a version mismatch between 7167 and
> 6111 somewhere).  Anyway, removing any trace of the 1.0.7167 debs and
> modass reinstalling from the 1.0.6111 versions got things going again
> for me.
>
> I'm kind of surprised the stock nvidia-kernel-* debs have appeared for
> Sarge when the stuff they're built from is being kept out by release
> critical bugs; does this mean we can expect (matching)
> nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx to appear for sarge soon ???
>
> Tim

Tim, my situation was identical to yours -- also built 6111 using the module
assistant.  I built 7167 from the nvidia sources rather than going back to
6111 however.  I'm not sure how "official" the non-free packages are. Do the
maintainers of the kernel packages even care about compatibility with the
non-free stuff?  I gather everything will sort itself out soon enough.

Roy