Re: Thursday upgrade borked my nvidia drivers

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 00:41 -0800, Roy Pluschke wrote:
> On April 1, 2005 23:12, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > > An sarge upgrade on Thursday has made my nvidia driver unusable.  I run
> > > the
> > > debian 2.24.7 prebuilt kernel.  I believe it was the upgrade from
> > > 2.24.7-7 to 2.24.7-8 that has caused the problem but I'm not certain what
> > > else was upgraded any more.

Sounds like a problem I just saw:

I usually install the nvidia drivers with module-assistant using the
1.0.6111 debs which used to be in testing.  Works fine on 2.4 & 2.6.

Just recently I got hit by the stock nvidia-kernel debs appearing in
sarge's repository - these seem to have been built from 1.0.7167, but
there's no matching nvidia-glx.  Any machines which grabbed them ('cos
they appear more up to date than the modass built ones) wouldn't start X
due to the version mismatch (at least I think that's what was happening;
it was certainly complaining about a version mismatch between 7167 and
6111 somewhere).  Anyway, removing any trace of the 1.0.7167 debs and
modass reinstalling from the 1.0.6111 versions got things going again
for me.

I'm kind of surprised the stock nvidia-kernel-* debs have appeared for
Sarge when the stuff they're built from is being kept out by release
critical bugs; does this mean we can expect (matching)
nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx to appear for sarge soon ???

Tim