Re: hotplug/udev problem?

Jan, thanks for the great suggestions! haven't been able to try them all yet,more inline...

Jan C. Nordholz wrote:
Hi Matt!

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 05:33:06PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:

1) scsi: I boot from, and have my root filesystem on, a scsi disk. THis means that scsi support has to be compiled into the main kernel, and since most of the stock kernels have scsi disk support as a module, I can't use them. With 2.4.x, I have working .config's that take care of the problem. With 2.6.x, it's trickier. The kernel seems to load properly, and scsi recognizes my scsi card and maybe the disks, but then stops with an error "/dev/sda7 is not a valid ext3 filesystem" -- and then dumps me into single-user mode to diagnose the problem with fsck. However, I can't go any further from there because,

Could you give us/post a link to the kernel output (or those snippets
relating to Scsi/Usb)?

well... the problem is, /var doesn't mount either, so /var/log/messages doesn't get written to. It's frustrating. and once agian I forgot to write down the error messages... but I remember that one part of the output was:
/dev/sda7: not a valid file (and then the message about ext2 and fsck)
I can also say that I at least know that the scsi system recognizes and mounts my root system, which is on /dev/sda3

2) usb: none of my usb peripherals are recognized by the kernel -- despite the fact that I have the HID module enabled. Since I have a mac, the usb connection is the only way for me to enter anything into the computer, so I end up stalled, and have to do a hard reboot. There are no error messages to this effect in /var/log/messages -- so I'm not sure what's up.

You're activating several controllers in the SCSI section... the AIC7xxx
(got the right one? There's also AIC7XXX_OLD) and the QLA2xxx. During boot,
the kernel should print a couple of lines when the controller driver loads,
and maybe even wait a little, if the controller scans all of its LUNs
first. Are all disks properly recognized?

I've tried both AIC7XX and AIC7XXX_OLD -- doesn't seem to change much, though I think OLD loads a little faster

Concerning your no-input-via-USB problem:
- Have you tried the USB boot protocol input drivers instead of the full HID?
You have to deactivate USB_HID to make those options appear...
cool idea, thanks, unfortunately didn't help.
- You could (temporarily) change /etc/inittab to call something else in
single-user mode; edit the line

~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin

~~:S:wait:/root/my_2.6_diag_script

ooh la la -- that sounds cool. don't have time to write the script right now, will try it soon unless I work things out...

If /dev/sda7 is not carrying any important data (i.e. / or /boot filesystem),
and it's the only disk fsck is complaining about, remove the "auto" flag
from it in /etc/fstab so it's skipped during bootup - and then boot directly
into single-user (append S to the boot prompt).

um, excellent idea, unforuntatly when I do that the next filesystem in the list comes up -- in the end I end up disabling most ofm y system, including /var/ -- anyway, since USB isn't working I still can't DO anything once I boot up.

Since both scsi and usb are broken, I'm wondering whether the problem is related to hotplug and udev. Does that seem possible? Hotplug's README.Debian says this about USB keyboards:
Notes:
 * USB keybord configuration
If you're booting with a USB keyboard and/or mouse, and want to defend against boot failures like missing modules, you should probably use static linking for the "hid", "keybdev" (and/or "mousedev"), "input", "usbcore", and USB Host Controller modules.

---> does "static linking" mean that I should compile them into the kernel, or that I should put the module names into /etc/modules?

Anyway, I've removed both hotplug and udev packages, and am compiling a non-hotplug kernel as we speak. will try it out after work.

Hope this helps,

Jan

well, it's been fun at any rate, hopefully soon I'll get closer to a usable kernel.

thanks,

matt

--

 .''`.       Matt Price