Wireless laptop public net basic user's setup?

A notebook was given to us by our school---a gateway 450ROG.  I have
successfully installed Knoppix 3.4, and finally 3.7.  Then I compiled a
new 2.6.20 kernel, and have also compiled a driver set for the Intel
wireless onboard adaptor.

A local cafe has advertized a wireless DSL service, which is working
with Windoze, but that is unacceptable to me---I do my work with
GNU/Linux.  I have tried to read the Linux Wireless HOWTO, and also
have looked at some other HOWTOs, but I don't get it yet.  I understand
how to basically set up a wired connection. This arcane system is so
far elluding me.

Knoppix comes with a nice "wavelan" setup tool.  I believe the access
point has been identified by my linux system: iwconfig gets a
meaningful number for the access point.  However, I think I am not
getting the DNS.  I am lost from here.

Can someone point me to a cogent description of even what is involved
in these public wireless systems?

Thank you very much,

Alan Davis
Kagman High School
Saipan, N. Mariana Islands
aedavis@eccomm.com

--
    A non-free program systematically denies the users the freedom to
    cooperate; it is the basis of an antisocial scheme to dominate