Apt-proxy client doesnt dist-upgrade

hi
I'm currently using 2 debian machines in my house, and 1(odin) is setup as an apt-proxy, then both it and the laptop (vidar) have /etc/apt/sources.list pointing to odin:9999

Odin allows me to apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade fine.
Vidar, allows me to apt-get update, but when I try to apt-get dist-upgrade it tells me nothing needs upgrading.

If I change the sources.list file on vidar back to point back to the normal deb feeds, apt-get dist-upgrades lets me know I need 467 packages upgraded etc.

Anyone know how to remedy this?

thx Glenn