Re: Debian 3.0r3 i386 and Perl Image::Magick

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 09:46:33PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:

> I am attempting to install the Perl module Image::Magick on a Debian 3.0r3 i386
> (Stable) machine that will be used for WebGUI evaluation and test.
>
> CPAN seems to map the name Image::Magick to PerlMagick-6.20.  On my first
> attempt to install Image::Magick, cc was failing because it couldn't find
> magick/api.h and because a symbol was redefined.
> (...)
>
> I'm leary of downloading source tarballs and trying to build them -- I'd rather
> go through dselect/ apt-get/ dpkg to avoid scrambling my system.

Just wondering... have you tried to simply install the debian package
perlmagick?  Did it not work, or are there any other reasons you're
trying to build from source?  I have it installed on a few servers
running stable, and it works decently enough for me.

If you really need any of the gimmicks/bugfixes/whatever of the most
recent Image::Magick (AKA PerlMagick) version from CPAN, it seems
likely you'll need to build the _whole_ shebang from scratch.
That means getting the complete sources (of recent versions) for all
dependent libraries (PerlMagick depends on libmagick, which in turn
depends on libjpeg, libpng, libtiff, and all of those...).

Those library versions in woody are most likely too old to work/build
with any new PerlMagick.  I'd assume the error messages you were
getting so far, are only the tip of the iceberg ;)
Although it's of course possible, in theory, to get the recent version
of PerlMagick to work under woody, I'd rather not try...

Almut