Re: recently upgraded to 2.6.8 on sarge no eth0

mike holden <everythingzenned@yahoo.com> writes:

> I recently upgraded to sarge, and then decided What
> the hell! I'll upgrade the kernel while i'm here. So I
> :
> apt-get -install kernel-image-2.6.8
> and it started to install. scary thing is, it didn't
> ask me any questions reguarding modules I wanted to
> install or anything. But right after I did that I
> rebooted to check the install. Now X won't start (No
> core pointer) error and eth0 is (Device not found)
> when I ifup. any idea why? My NIC (linksys) runs off
> of the tulip driver so it isnt any big NIC card driver
> problem i don't think. and it worked with the 2.2.*
> woody kernel. TIA

You might have to:

   modprobe tulip

if that loads a card driver you can then:

   ifup eth0

you could add that to /etc/modules

The 2.6.8 debian kernel is highly modularized so nerally everything
*should* be availble as a module. Trouble is, if you were using a
compiled in driver before the module won't get loaded automatically.

As for your pointer problem you might have to:

   modprobe mousedev

and then see what happens. If it works you could add that to
/etc/modules as well.

Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk