eth0 won't come up with custom kernel

I have just compiled a custom 2.4.27 kernel under sarge and it booted
fine.  The problem is that I can't get eth0 up.  During boot and after
issuing the command "ifup eth0" I get the following stuff:

socket: Protocol not available - make sure CONFIG_PACKET and
CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel configuration!
exiting.
Failed to bring up eth0.

This system is going to be used as an internet gateway with dhcp
server, iptables, etc.  So, if I actually did include CONFIG_FILTER in
the configuration wouldn't I be using an old filtering interface and
not iptables?  Why won't eth0 come up?

I definitely compiled in the driver for my network card so I'm sure
that's not the problem.  Any recomendations are welcome.  I can also
give more info about my .config if needed.
--

Forrest Humphrey
forrest.humphrey@gmail.com