Encrypted backup

 Hi,

1)  My goal is to upload daily some backups of my most important files
(spreadsheets, photos, ~ 3 Gb) to the server to another off-site server
(Debian too, with ssh access).
 As I'm not the administrator of the remote server, I'd like to encrypt
everything (gnupg seems fine). As I've got only an 16 kb/s upload, I'd
like to use rsync or something similar, but as my computer is an old
one, I'd like to avoid reencrypting everything each time, and I'd like
to avoid storing a local encrypted backup to spare disk. So I have no
way to compare easily the encrypted backups and the local original
files.
 I'm afraid that mounting an encrypted file on the remote server is not
feasible (fuse + sshfs + cryptoloop ?)...  Anyway, I need to be able to
retrieve the encrypted files from another system (my Mac, even Windows
in the worst case).

 The best I've thought of is hacking a shell script which stores the
timestamps of the remote backups somewhere, and if necessary encrypts
each file, and uploads it (scp or rsync, that won't change much).

 Am I dreaming?

2) Another problem are the file names, that I'd like to hide. I'd need
something a bit more complicated than rot13, do you know one?

 Thanks on advance for any idea.

--
Christophe
http://www.courtois.cc/