Re: stupid question

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, why do people still build kernels this way on Debian?
> I know that I have asked this before, but I have not been able to figure out
> why someone would use this error-prone tecnique?  There is a perfectly good
> way (via kernel-package) to take any kernel source and produce a nice Debian
> package that you can then install and have the system keep track of for you.

I can't seem to remember exactly wuch arguments I should use, and how to
prevent aptitude update && aptitude upgrade from overwriting my
self-build kernel. Somehow I can remember more easily how to do it
manually. Moreover, I know exactly what is going on at every stage of
the process. When building a kernel the Debian way, I always have the
feeling that the tools are doing too much magic that I don't understand.

I don't really think the manual approach is that much more error-prone.
In fact, I think I've had less problems with the manual approach.

Roel Schroeven