Re: New user teething problems: tulip on 2.2.20

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:19:43 -0500
Bill Freeman <f@ke1g.mv.com> wrote:

> 	I'm new to Debian, but a long time Linux user.  I came into
> possesion of a Compaq Presario 1200Z and decided that it was time that
> I tried Debian.
>
> 	I grabbed the CD version of the net install of woody, and
> everything went smoothly.
>
> 	However, I decided that I wanted sound, and the installed
> kernel was 2.2.20-idepci, which, among other things, doesn't have
> sound support.
>
> 	So I used the package manager under system on kde (a front
> end for apt, I presume) to grab the straight 2.2.20 kernel (which I
> understand includes most things).  And it boots just fine.
>
> 	Except that I can no longer load the tulip module.  modprobe
> tulip yeilds:
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.20/net/tulip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
>

> 	I also tried the 2.4.16 kernel, which also can't load tulip,
> though the error message is slightly different (something like device
> does not exist).
>
> 	Several live CD's work fine with this interface.  Knoppix 3.7,
> for example, still uses the tulip module.
>
> 	One thing that I noticed running 2.2.20-idepci is that lsmod
> says that pci-scan is loaded and that tulip uses it.  There is no
> pci-scan.o anywhere under /lib/modules/2.2.20/ , and the one from
> /lib/modules/2.2.20-idepci/net won't work with the 2.2.20 kernel (of
> course it might be built into the 2.2.20 kernel).
>

> 	So, am I missing something obvious, or is it perhaps a bug
> that the 2.2.20 kernel .deb doesn't include pci-scan.o, or what?

2.2.20 is a pretty old kernel. I would try at least upgrading to the
latest 2.4 kernel in Woody. Better yet, if this is just a test box,
download the new Debian-Installer[1] and install Sarge on the box.
Knoppix is based on Debian Testing/Sarge and Unstable/Sid.

[1] http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

HTH,
Jacob