New user teething problems: tulip on 2.2.20

	I'm new to Debian, but a long time Linux user.  I came into
possesion of a Compaq Presario 1200Z and decided that it was time that
I tried Debian.

	I grabbed the CD version of the net install of woody, and
everything went smoothly.

	However, I decided that I wanted sound, and the installed
kernel was 2.2.20-idepci, which, among other things, doesn't have
sound support.

	So I used the package manager under system on kde (a front
end for apt, I presume) to grab the straight 2.2.20 kernel (which I
understand includes most things).  And it boots just fine.

	Except that I can no longer load the tulip module.  modprobe
tulip yeilds:

/lib/modules/2.2.20/net/tulip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

	I also tried the 2.4.16 kernel, which also can't load tulip,
though the error message is slightly different (something like device
does not exist).

	Several live CD's work fine with this interface.  Knoppix 3.7,
for example, still uses the tulip module.

	One thing that I noticed running 2.2.20-idepci is that lsmod
says that pci-scan is loaded and that tulip uses it.  There is no
pci-scan.o anywhere under /lib/modules/2.2.20/ , and the one from
/lib/modules/2.2.20-idepci/net won't work with the 2.2.20 kernel (of
course it might be built into the 2.2.20 kernel).

	So, am I missing something obvious, or is it perhaps a bug
that the 2.2.20 kernel .deb doesn't include pci-scan.o, or what?

	Any help appreciated.

							Bill