Re: NVIDIA kernel and X problems (Solved!)

David Roguin wrote:
I've solved it. First. I didn't install the NVIDIA driver from the original installer
I always use module-assistant.
What happened was that module-assistant leave in /usr/src/ the old
nvidia-kernel modules. so when it installed, it first install the older
ones but only configure it once.
What i did was remove all the old ones and module-assistant auto-install
nvidia again.

I recently switched to using module-assistant but wonder if I am doing everything in the correct sequence. I especially wonder if the first reboot is always necessary.

Here's what I do when upgrading kernel versions and even reconfiguring a kernel:

cd /usr/src/linux
make xconfig
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --append-to-version .rickm.4 kernel_image
cd ..
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.9.rickm.4_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
==>> reboot

I always do the reboot here, figuring that the kernel needs to be installed and running for the nvidia to build correctly. Usually, GDM fails to run after booting because the old driver doesn't match the new kernel. But what if I'm reconfiguring, such as turning on tmpfs or some drivers? Should I always reboot?

# I think David is suggesting to
rm -rf usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel/
# before I continue with these last steps:

apt-get install module-assistant nvidia-kernel-common
module-assistant auto-install nvidia
apt-get install nvidia-glx
==>> reboot

The last set of commands usually say that I have the most recent versions but I always run this sequence anyway.

...RickM...