Re: Widescreen X11?

jeff elkins wrote:
An earlier response pointed me to Freevo which running under sid is doing a fantastic job as an mp3 jukebox in conjunction with a widescreen 60" Panasonic HDTV LCD. However, the display at 1024x768 is a standard "square," rather than widescreen, leaving me with quite a bit of unused video real estate in the form of vertical and horizontal black bars. Can X drive a widescreen display?

Jeff

I'm running 1280x720p on a 50" Samsung DLP with a nVidia GeForce FX 5200 based "brand X" video card. Unfortunately, the proprietary nVidia driver I'm using doesn't recognize this display mode so I had to put in a custom modeline. With a previous ATI 9600XT both the open source 'radeon' driver and the ATI proprietary driver had no problems recognizing 1280x720p as a valid mode.

The upshot is that X has no issues with widescreen modes but your video hardware and/or driver might.

Nick