Hard Lockups can't happen (can they?)

My computer is crashing in a really strange way.

Most of the time it works perfectly (running a debian sid, with kde 3.4 from
experimental).

Yesterday, in order to create some more disk space, I bought a new disk and
installed it as "slave" on the second IDE channel (next to the DVD/CDRW drive
as "master" on this channel), this giving me /dev/hdd.

At the same time, I did my normal (every few days) aptitude "u" followed by
"g" (in otherwords updated all the packages to the latest).

Now, provided I don't touch konqueror to do any web browsing (using Firefox is
fine), the computer runs fine.  However, normally within a few seconds of
firing up konquerer to do web browsing, my system locks solid.

When I say solid, I mean solid.  Mouse stops moving is the first symptom, but
in actual fact everything on the user interface stops.  Not only that, but
the computer no longer responds to pings from outside. So it appears to have
come to a complete halt.

If I fire up konqueror to locally browse files there is not problem.

I though linux was supposed to protect against rogue userland software, so how
is just running konqueror having such a devastating effect?

Obviously nothing appears in the logs, as the last few writes to disk are
lost, so has anyone any ideas about how to debug this?

I have reported this as bug number 301552.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk