Re: Writing for Free Software Magazine

On Sunday 27 March 2005 04:09, Joey Hess wrote:
> I think it would be a mistake to assume that just because these media
> operate on different timescales that they cannot be used for meaningful
> communication.

Agreed, but I did not assume that, nor suggest that.

> Similarly, in my experience the better and more valuable technical
> magazines often lead to articles that go beyond the glitz of the moment
> and reach deeper into the heart of what's important.

Of course, that is true.

> If I wait six weeks to post this reply to
> this thread, then everyone will see a disconnected reply to an old
> thread in their mail readers, scratch their heads, and move on.

Well, assuming you don't quote enough context from your previous email, I'll
agree.  But that does not "cut" against my argument.  Instead, it supports
it.  If others can reply right away and have their voices heard, then you
would ideally be able to do the same.  If someone chooses to prevent you from
communicating with an equally strong voice, then that is unethical, imho.

Of course, not everyone chooses to be ethical, but by posting that first
reply, I simply intended to point out the issue and leave the choice to the
original poster.

> I cannot
> participate in the conversations on this mailing list without monitoring
> it on a nearly daily basis. What if it takes me a week to get mail out?
> What if I do not have enough free time to keep up with it daily?

The difference there is that someone ELSE is limiting your ability -- perhaps
even yourself, by personal prioritising of needs and goals.

Elsewhere in the world, you may be violently attacked, but that is quite
different from an individual's choice to violently attack you.  Just because
it happens and may even be the norm, that does not mean we should
automatically condone it and participate.  This is an important distinction,
of course.

> When
> vast numbers of people still lack reasonable or any access to the
> internet, and many people who do have access would still be unable to
> communicate on a forum like this list, why do you worry about people who
> are online somehow becoming second class citisens due to old media that
> has been around for hundreds of years?

Well, many people are talking about the "digital divide", worrying about this
exact problem.

Again, though, we should not choose to worsen a situation just because it
exists by someone else's doing.  No matter how often it occurs elsewhere, we
are still equally empowered to prevent it in our own personal choices.

> Perhaps for some other people, a paper magazine has the potential to
> spread out and reach them, and give them a window into our world.

Yes, that is a good point, and one worth bearing in mind when it comes to
paper distribution.  However, I have never claimed that a printed magazine
should be produced or sold without cost.  It is the artificial limitation of
online distribution that worries me.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  Please understand that I'm getting very
tired of this long thread now, though.  So, even if you feel the need to
discuss it a little longer, I'd appreciate it if we can try to wind this up
soon-ish :)

--
Lee.