Re: Acrobat 7.0 for linux is out

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 18:56, CaT wrote:

> More on topic though, what's wrong with [xkg]pdf?

xpdf seems to be ok but I don't care much for the interface (including
the annoying filepicker). gpdf can't even scroll from one page to the
next. And kpdf, well I'm actually quite disappointed with kpdf - for
all the UI gains the renderer still isn't as good as that in xpdf. I
actually thought they used the same renderer but that just can't be
based on what I am seeing with my own tex-derived documents. The fonts
(at least if they're type1) aren't jagged but they aren't all that
clean either (compared to Acrobat and xpdf). I'd use kghostview except
that it actually reverses the usual type1/3 problem - basic type1
documents are dreadful whereas type3 are in fact quite clean. This
seems to be a more basic problem with kghostview since the PostScript
versions of the same files look equally dreadful.

At any rate, Acrobat 7 renders all my documents nicely, works as a
plugin with Konqueror and the interface is a vast improvement over its
predecessors. I'd prefer to see it use QT widgets and such but other
than that and its size I'm happy with it.

Still, if kpdf were to employ the same renderer as xpf I'd probably use
it instead. But as it stands, I just can't stand seeing my own tex
documents look on the crummy side for no apparent reason.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

Noone isn't no one