Debian-Installer problem

I have a PC which does not like the Debian installer. I'm using rc3.
(I have double checked rc2: same problem there).

The PC is a cheap p4 (2.6G) machine with two ide drives. The hw might
very well be low quality...

The installer boots fine and continues until it says:
Starting up the partitioner   Scanning disks...  38%
there it stops forever :-(

'noapic nolapic' do not change that. 'expert' mode does not help either,
as it does *not* let me skip the automatic hd partition scanning.

On another console I see the following on the botton:
[...]
main-menu [334]: DEBUG: configure harddrive-detection, status: 0
main-menu [334]: DEBUG: virtual package harddrive-detection

setting DEBCONF_DEBUG=5 gives me:
debconf: --> PROGRESS INFO partman/progress/init/parted
debconf: <-- 0 OK

Now I have a couple of questions:

1) Is this the right list for this type of questions?

2) The hd is partitioned and formatted. Can I skip the automatic
   partition scanning somehow?

3) How can I get more information to file a useful bug report.

Robert Epprecht