Re: dns admin questions

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:45:42 -0800 (PST)
Richard Weil <rcweil@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm using tinydns built from the djbdns source package on debian sarge
> and it works great. I'm not that experienced with admin'ing DNS
> though, and I need to make a couple of changes. So, some questions:
>
> (1)  If I no longer what tinydns to provide dns services for one of
> the domains, do I simply delete all references to the domain out of
> the data file and then type make?

Yep. If you want to make sure tinydns knows that it has no answer for
those domains after the make, use dnsq to test your dns server. See:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/debugging.html

> (2)  How do I redirect mx records? My current entry for a domain is:
>
> @my_domain.com::my_current_email_server1:10:300
> @my_domain.com::my_current_email_server2:20:300
>
> I'm considering pointing these to Fastmail.fm, which provides the
> following directions:
>
>     * in1.smtp.messagingengine.com (first, preference=10)
>     * in2.smtp.messagingengine.com (second, preference=20)
>
> Does this mean I should make the records:
>
> @my_domain.com::in1.smtp.messagingengine.com:10:300
> @my_domain.com::in2.smtp.messagingengine.com:20:300

Correct again. You may also want to tell 'my_current_email_server1' and
'my_current_email_server2' to forward e-mail to
'in1.smtp.messagingengine.com' and 'in2.smtp.messagingengine.com' so
that no e-mails are lost in the process of other mail servers noticing
the new MX record.

> What about the "300"? I believe that the 300 is the TTL for the whole
> domain, so i"m not sure what to do with it in regards to the mx
> records.

Well, 2 out of 3's not bad. :-) The '300' you show on the lines above is
only for the MX records (ie. the lines starting with an @ symbol). Each
A, SOA, TXT, MX and other dns records have their own TTL (though you
don't have to specify the TTL, as tinydns will use defaults when none
are specified).

HTH,
Jacob