Exim - Balsa configuration

Your help is greatly appreciated. I am using Exim on my local machine. I wish to keep exim as secure as possible sticking with default configuration. When I attempt connect to it using a mail client such as Balsa or Thunderbird the only way that I can seem to make a connection is to configure the client SMTP and Pop3 server as localhost. However, to do this, it is necessary to edit the exim.conf file and uncomment the following line:

host_accept_relay = localhost

If I do not uncomment this line, I can not connect. However, I am afraid that I am compromising security by permitting localhost relaying. I don't need to uncomment this line for proper use with Mutt or Mail. Please help this misguided soul.