Faster booting when disconnected from network

Hello,

I am running debian sid on a laptop computer.  Being a mobile system, I do not always have a network connection on bootup.  I would like to speed up the boot process a little by reducing the time for the dhcp discover by simply disabling the network  (thinking that I could then do 'ifup eth0'  to bring up the network if it in fact connected).  It would seem that all that would be required to do this is to remove the 'auto eth0' line in the /etc/network/interfaces file.  However, after doing this, my system still goes through a dhcp discover sequence, which delays booting.  Could anyone could offer any suggestions on configuration changes to eliminate this delay?  I appreciate your time.

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces file:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
# do NOT start at boot (saves time in boot process if
#  (but this doesn't prevent that from happening - for some reason
# that I don't understand)
# auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# Wireless Interface (internal)