[lilo+lvm] can't upgrade kernel on new system

I am building a new Debian Sid/Sarge system, installed with
debian-installer RC2.  Right now, kernel-image-2.6.8-1-386 is installed,
and I tried to upgrade to the latest 2.6 kernel in Sarge.  However, lilo
gives me this error when I try to run it:

device-mapper ioctl cmd 12 failed: no such device or address
Fatal: device-mapper: dm_task_run(DM_DEVICE_TABLE) failed

The system is still bootable.

lilo.conf:

# 1st SATA device
boot=/dev/sda
# Root on LVM
root=/dev/mapper/vg0-root
map=/boot/map
delay=20
vga=normal
default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
	label=Linux
	initrd=/initrd.img
	read-only

udev is running, and /dev/mapper/vg0-root is there.

Thanks for any help or insights you can provide, all I can find via
Google has been patch snippets to an old version of lilo.

-Jonathan