Re: Any MIDI/audio sequencer out there that works ?

Lee Braiden wrote on 24.03.2005 22:07:
| On Thursday 24 March 2005 20:50, Hannes Mayer wrote:
|
|>But there is just one remaining problem:
|>Fluidsynth starts to consume 100% CPU power shortly after being started
|>with # fluidsynth -m alsa_seq ./8Rock11e.sf2
|
| Hmm.. I can't remember if I tried fluidsynth or if I got it working.
I do
| remember using jack with it, and I think timidity worked fine too.  I may
| have been using both together, since timidity has a jack backend, but I
| recall using timidity directly with alsa in the past too.  Sorry I'm
hazy on
| the details, it's been a while :)

Timidity works just swell as a midi softsynth in combination with alsa.
Taken from the timidity docs:

| This document describes about the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
| (ALSA) sequencer interface.  The ALSA sequencer interface communicates
| between ALSA sequencer core and timidity.  The interface receives
| events from sequencer and plays it in (quasi-)real-time.
| On this mode, TiMidity works purely as the software real-time MIDI
| render, that is as a software MIDI synth engine on ALSA.
| There is no scheduling routine in this interface, since all scheduling
| is done by ALSA sequencer core.
|
| For invoking ALSA sequencer interface, run timidity as follows:
|         % timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os -q0/0 -k0
| The fragment size is adjustable.  The smaller number gives better
| real-time response.  Then timidity shows new port numbers which were
| newly created (128:0 and 128:1 below).
|        ---------------------------------------
|         % timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os -q0/0 -k0
|         TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
|         Opening sequencer port 128:0 128:1
|        ---------------------------------------
| These ports can be connected with any other sequencer ports.
| For example, playing a MIDI file via pmidi (what's an overkill :-),
|         % pmidi -p128:0 foo.mid
| If a midi file needs two ports, you may connect like this:
|         % pmidi -p128:0,128:1 bar.mid
| Connecting from external MIDI keyboard may become like this:
|         % aconnect 64:0 128:0

CPU load is neglectable so I definitely recommend timidity.
Nice to see I'm not as much of a moron as I thought, I had pretty much
the same problems of not knowing that you need to specifically run a
softsynth even if sound is otherwise all setup when there's no hardware
synth on the card.

Cheers, Roman.