Re: Serious apt-get problem -- horked whole system

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 22:03, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I was using Ethereal, and reading the docs, when I realized the docs were
> for a newer version, so I added it with:
>
> apt-get install etherial=.10.??-? -t testing
>
> (I can't remember the exact version number that I found was available.)
>
> This caused a problem with libgtk2.0-bin, where I kept getting an error
> that the post-install script exited with error code 1.  I finally found
> the script, and the error was because it wasn't being called with an
> argument. At this point, I couldn't install this package, I couldn't
> remove it, configure it or do anything.  With nothing else to do, I
> deleted all the related files in /var/dpkg/info/ that were related to
> this package, and tried to re-install and got the same errors.  I removed
> the deb file
> from /var/apt/cache, re-removed the files in /var/dpkg/info, and tried to
> re-install.
>
> I couldn't, so I removed it, which removed a ton of other packages.  I
> tried re-installing and found I had to use libgtk2.0-bin >=2.6x.  At this
> point, no matter what I do, I can't fully remove or install this package.
>  I did install it, and started reinstalling a number of the packages it
> forced to remove.  None of the re-installed programs run, giving me an
> error, like this from Abiword:
>
> abiword: relocation error: /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: undefined
> symbol: g_filename_display_name

This is due to a shared library incompatibility.  Your binary abiword
expects the library libgdk_pixbuf to export the symbol
g_filename_dislpay_name, but it isn't, probably because your library is
older than what abiword actually needs.

> So, at this point, I don't even have gdm available, so I don't want to
> log out of my session (which, since I work at home, I don't do that often
> anyway).
>
> So how can I wipe anything connected with this package and make sure it
> installs correctly, so I can re-install all the packages that depend on
> it (I copied and pasted a list of all the packages it removed)?

A good start would be to re-install the previous versions of packages that
you know were upgraded.  If you don't know which packages you had
previously installed, you might check /var/cache/apt/archives/ and see if
the .deb is still there.  If, on the other hand, you know which version of
the package you had, but you don't have a copy locally, either check with
Libranet's site, or maybe snapshot.debian.net.

> I'm pushing hard on another project that I *HAVE* to finish, and at this
> point, I don't dare reboot or even log out of KDE because I don't want to
> have to deal with all the programs that won't restart with this package
> (and all that depended on it) removed.  I do NOT have time to re-install
> my workstation.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks you!
>
> Hal