Help w/ XP networking with Debian

On a network of debian machines I need to add a MS XP host.
I have very little experience with MS OSes, I've been a linux
user since 0.9? and a Unix user before then.

A Layout->CNC program requires a XP host and external
support and email need to go with that.  So I am adding
a XP host.

Initial setup looked good, XP finds my DHCP server, resolves
off of my DNSmasq server, pings local hosts fine and finds it
way though my little Linksys router to browse the world.

But when I try to use the local dovecot IMAP server i find
no joy.  At first I'm prone to suspect the IMAP server but it
is working with other local hosts.   I find I can telnet:143
to the IMAP server and login.  Outlook Express doesn't make the
connection it yields a 0x800ccc19 error.

Then I find that my XP host ignores localhosts' pings.
I disable XP firewalling but it makes no difference.

I'll be happy to list versions and error messages but I'll pause
because I think I'm missing some aspect of setting up XP.

Thanks for any help.

Be well,
rir