Re: 486 laptop...

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 09:18 -0500, Matt Price wrote:

hi folks,

I've just inherited a 70 mHz 486 laptop with 24m RAM (!).  It
currently runs Windows 95.  question:  what can one do withsuch a
machine?  Any ideas out there?  Anything would be great, but something
educational would be great -- my 6-year-old would love a computer.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/applications.html is Debian-based.

But since it doesn't have a bootable CD-ROM or UDB drive...

Woody, booted from floppy and installed via CD-ROM, using the
fvwm wm and XFree v3.3.6.

But, we can't give you any really good advice, since you haven't told us important stuff like:
- how big is the hard drive?
- is there a floppy drive?
- is there a CD-ROM drive?
- is there a NIC?
- is there a PCMCIA slot (to put a NIC in)?
- which video chip is used?

lots of cool suggestions so far though.  but to be more specific:

-no nic (though could probably pick one up cheap for the pcmcia slot -- though maybe it's the wrong type? - floppy & cd are external, don't know how well supported the interface will be.
- fairly large (3.2 gig) hard drive
- um, will have to get back to you on the video chip

thanks everyone so far!
matt