Re: 486 laptop...

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 09:18 -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> hi folks,
>
> I've just inherited a 70 mHz 486 laptop with 24m RAM (!).  It
> currently runs Windows 95.  question:  what can one do withsuch a
> machine?  Any ideas out there?  Anything would be great, but something
> educational would be great -- my 6-year-old would love a computer.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/applications.html is Debian-based.

But since it doesn't have a bootable CD-ROM or UDB drive...

Woody, booted from floppy and installed via CD-ROM, using the
fvwm wm and XFree v3.3.6.

But, we can't give you any really good advice, since you haven't
told us important stuff like:
- how big is the hard drive?
- is there a floppy drive?
- is there a CD-ROM drive?
- is there a NIC?
- is there a PCMCIA slot (to put a NIC in)?
- which video chip is used?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible,
you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
Brian W. Kernighan