Re: Serious apt-get problem -- horked whole system

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 01:17 -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Thursday 24 March 2005 12:53 am, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 00:03 -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > > I was using Ethereal, and reading the docs, when I realized the docs were
> > > for a newer version, so I added it with:
> > >
> > > apt-get install etherial=.10.??-? -t testing
> > >
> > > (I can't remember the exact version number that I found was available.)
> > >
> > > This caused a problem with libgtk2.0-bin, where I kept getting an error
[snip]
> > > have to deal with all the programs that won't restart with this package
> > > (and all that depended on it) removed.  I do NOT have time to re-install
> > > my workstation.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Hi, Hal.
>
> Hi, Ron.  Guess you can't hide from me.

No, you can't.  Ever.

> > Aren't you running Mepis, i.e., a mixed system?
>
> No.  This one is the one remaining Libranet system.
>
> And that might change if I get the program I'm working on soon enough, I might
> have time to re-install this with either Mepis or the new Sarge installer.

I'd suggest that the problem is that you are trying to install
something new on a relatively old and mixed (package-wise) system.

> Otherwise, I want to fix it without having to backup /home and everything

Aren't you backing up /home regularly, anyway?  Especially since
this is your *business* computer?

> else that goes with re-installing, but keeping my settings and data.

I /home on it's own partition?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"It is easier to lead men to combat, stirring up their passion,
than to restrain them and direct them toward the patient labors
of peace."
Andre Gide