Re: Serious apt-get problem -- horked whole system

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 00:03 -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I was using Ethereal, and reading the docs, when I realized the docs were for
> a newer version, so I added it with:
>
> apt-get install etherial=.10.??-? -t testing
>
> (I can't remember the exact version number that I found was available.)
>
> This caused a problem with libgtk2.0-bin, where I kept getting an error that
> the post-install script exited with error code 1.  I finally found the
> script, and the error was because it wasn't being called with an argument.
> At this point, I couldn't install this package, I couldn't remove it,
> configure it or do anything.  With nothing else to do, I deleted all the
> related files in /var/dpkg/info/ that were related to this package, and tried
> to re-install and got the same errors.  I removed the deb file
> from /var/apt/cache, re-removed the files in /var/dpkg/info, and tried to
> re-install.
>
> I couldn't, so I removed it, which removed a ton of other packages.  I tried
> re-installing and found I had to use libgtk2.0-bin >=2.6x.  At this point, no
> matter what I do, I can't fully remove or install this package.  I did
> install it, and started reinstalling a number of the packages it forced to
> remove.  None of the re-installed programs run, giving me an error, like this
> from Abiword:
>
> abiword: relocation error: /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
> g_filename_display_name
>
> So, at this point, I don't even have gdm available, so I don't want to log out
> of my session (which, since I work at home, I don't do that often anyway).
>
> So how can I wipe anything connected with this package and make sure it
> installs correctly, so I can re-install all the packages that depend on it (I
> copied and pasted a list of all the packages it removed)?
>
> I'm pushing hard on another project that I *HAVE* to finish, and at this
> point, I don't dare reboot or even log out of KDE because I don't want to
> have to deal with all the programs that won't restart with this package (and
> all that depended on it) removed.  I do NOT have time to re-install my
> workstation.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi, Hal.

Aren't you running Mepis, i.e., a mixed system?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Americans hate foreign policy because Americans hate foreigners,
because they *are* foreigners, and came to this country to get
away from the bad things."
P.J. O'Rourke, satirist, 2004-06-25, Fox News Channel