Re: Help! Can't log in any more

David Jarvie wrote:

Last night I was working on my Sarge system, running a self-compiled version
of KDE 3.3, when suddenly I couldn't execute any commands or do anything at
all under my user login. I was able to switch to a console and log in as
root, where things worked normally. But I couldn't 'su' to my user login. I
even rebooted the system, but that didn't help.
<snip>
The symptoms are:

1) kdm still displays the login screen, but login fails after I try to log
in under my user account. There are messages in the log files about missing
permissions on /tmp, /home/david, etc. I checked /tmp's permissions, and
they are still read-write-execute for everybody.
/tmp should be:
drwxrwxrwt  21 root root 7168 Mar 23 09:45 /tmp

3) While logged on as root in a console, when I do an 'su david', it gives
an error message "No shell" (I can't remember the exact wording), and fails
to log me on.

4) When I do an 'su - david', I get error messages about not being able to
cd to /home/david. Again the login fails. /home/david still exists, and has
owner 'david'.

I'd suggest posting the output of "ls -ld /home/david"; also the perms within /home/david might be apropos.

6) I don't have any other user accounts set up on the system, so I haven't
tried logging in under other users.
I'd try creating a new user and see if that user works.

--
Kent