Re: rootlogin

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:29:38AM +0100, lars ebeling wrote:

> I installed debian many years ago, and then it disappeared since linux weren't approved by managers. Now I have lost my job and got an obsolete HP LC 3 with me home where I try to install Debian.
>
> I remember that  I somewhere changed so that I were allowed to login from a PC as root. But where?
>
> I also have problems with graphiccard and can't change te resoultion.

Not sure I've understood your question, however, if you're trying to get
into a box you set up some time ago, then if you boot up with a rescue
or install disk, then mount the hard drive, you will be able to edit
the passwd and shadow files by hand.  You need to remove the characters
in the second field (after root:) so that there is nothing left in the
field, it should look like this root::<several other fields> .  The
shadow file is in /etc.

That will reset the password.

--
Mark Kent