Re: Help on Alsa on Debian Sarge

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:40:09 +0100, Bill Pierce wrote:
> Since then, not only does the sound on Gatos still not work,
> but my KDE startup sound does not play until 2 minutes after starting up.
> The KDE system sounds work, and some programs such as Noatun
> and Audacity work, but Xmms -- with Xmms, when I set the output plugin
> to Alsa, I got garbage sound; then I set it to OSS, and the Xmms sound
> now works.

If you are running KDE then all those applications need to send their
output to the arts daemon rather than to ALSA directly.

> In my attempts to get this to work, I ran alsaconf and got these 2 lines
> in a file "sound" which I put into /etc/modprobe.d:
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-intel8x0 ac97_clock=0 ac97_quirk=-1 enable=1 index=0 joystick=0

OK

> Also I added those 2 lines to my /etc/modules file.

/etc/modules should only contain module names, e.g.,

    snd-intel8x0

> I don't know if any of that helped.
> Now, doing lsmod, the lines pertaining to sound are the following:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> snd-intel8x0           16704   1
> snd-ac97-codec         48280   0  [snd-intel8x0]
> snd-pcm-oss            34048   0
> snd-mixer-oss          11000   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
> snd-pcm                50216   0  [snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm-oss]
> snd-timer              12548   0  [snd-pcm]
> snd                    28260   1  [snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm-oss
> snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm snd-timer]
> soundcore               3268   4  [snd]
> snd-page-alloc          4296   0  [snd-intel8x0 snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm
> snd-timer snd]

Please provide a full lsmod output.

> I see OSS there

No, the modules names beginning with 'snd' are all ALSA module names.
Those that begin with 'snd' and end in 'oss' are ALSA's OSS-emulation
modules.

> but I don't see any ALSA. Also, I notice that even after I
> supposedly installed Alsa, I still get artsd loaded.

arts is not an alternative to ALSA.  It is a userspace daemon that makes
use of either OSS or ALSA (which run in kernelspace).

--
Thomas Hood