Re: 486 laptop...

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:42:11 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>  I think plenty of people would love a simple laptop that just works -- I
> agree a real lightweight wm with a simple editer like Nedit, a lightweight
> browser and email client, what more could you really need? Knoppix is a
> great idea to get it running, but how big is the hd? I think knoppix likes
> nearly 3 gig just to install. of course you can dselect a bunch of crap
> after words...

Yep, a full knoppix install is about that size - anyway, I just used
knoppix to verify I could run a window manager at all. I succeeded
with 16MB, so 24MB will add a little more "speed".
Possibly the HD will be not larger than 300MB, but there are some
light weight distros around. "Damn small linux" comes to my mind...

Best regards,
Hannes.