Re: KDE: Dependency vs Suggested or Recommended

Hello!

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 09:27:56PM +0000, Anonymous Coward wrote:
> From my understanding, KDE is pretty modular. Why are packages such
> as: kde-amusements <http://packages.debian.org/testing/kde/kde>
> dependencies of KDE rather than suggested packages?

The kde package is a metapackage: its purpose is to pull in all the
important parts of KDE automatically so you can just install a single
package, but still get the whole lot.

If you don't need all those parts you can easily just pick what you
need, either one of the finer grained metapackages such as kdeartwork
or kdemultimedia, or single packages such as kmail, konqueror, ...
Their repective dependencies will pull in all that is needed for
running those programs.

HTH,
Flo