siI 3112a sataraid on kernel 2.6.8 problems

Hey Fellas,

Im running debian sarge on a supermicro 1u chassis, four 200g sata drives with a number of raids spread over them.

md1 is the boot raid - its a raid1 with two spares
md0 is the main raid - ext3 raid5 with no spares
md2 is the swap raid, 3 gigs or so of raid5

My custom 2.4.26 kernel properly loads everything and its what I'm running now. I took the old config file from /boot and copied it to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8/.config
then did make oldconfig

I went through menuconfig to make sure that the raid drivers got loaded and that everything else was properly configured, but when I booted into the new kernel, it found md1 (boot) properly
but when it tried to look at md0 (/) it kernel panicked

reiserfs md0 warning sh-2006: read_super_block: bread failed (dev md0, block 2, size 4096)
(repeats once)
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=md0 iso_blknum=16, block=32
kernel panic, unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Why would it think that the md0 partition is reiserfs, when it is ext3?

Thanks!

Dan
dan@itkinetix.com
owner, itkinetix web hosting